2009-04-15

Tinting My World a Vivid Shade of Rammstein

I've had my head in these songs so much lately that I've gained some new perspective on how people go through life.

I did notice when I first started work on Rein Raus that I was looking at sex and people a bit differently. Granted, it's fine thinking about sex for hours at a time, but thinking about sex as per someone else's point of view is just weird. I've never looked at sex as a man might, let alone a man like that depicted in Rein Raus. He's a user with a very casual attitude to his partners, and I basically stepped on board that mindset and went with it. I have friends with similar characteristics, and I suddenly know them much better, I think. It's certainly been interesting working on that song, and I have really enjoyed the adjustments I've had to make to my own perspective.

Tier and Zerstören are a whole different kettle of fish. I can get my head into the right space, but I don't particularly enjoy it. While interesting it's very dark and very lonely. I just can't sympathise with Tier in the least, and I resent Zerstören's ugliness. I guess that's a good thing, given the evils of each. That said, I'd rather spend my life inside the mind drawn in Zerstören than go anywhere near Tier.

I think anyone who isn't a flawless God of Love can sympathise with Feuer und Wasser and Ohne Dich, and Du Hast for that matter. They're love songs, and though the message varies widely the underlying basis for each does not. It's a fairly ubiquitous.

As as aside, I've been contemplating picking up Klavier, but have hit a block. In verse three Jeremy has the following translation:

I hear mother pleading
father is beating me


In the booklet that comes with the CD those lines are transcribed as:

I heard her mother plea
Her father struck out at me


Grammatical issues aside, the latter is clearly defining whose parents they are. The translation of the original German from Jeremy, an adept German-speaker, does not, unless it's to say they're the speaker's parents. Until I know for sure which Till Lindemann intended (never mind the technicalities) I can't work on this song. The implications of that parenthood are too broad. Did Lindemann write the translations in the CD case?

That question is really bothering me. I need more information that I can't get from anyone but the author, who is so far from likely to ever see this that I think I'm going to miss out on Klavier. I find that sad.

I've got Rammstein in my mind, but no real world connection. Fuck!

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment