2009-04-29

LILT: Klavier 1.0

This one has been a major headache. Not only that, but I have a major headache.

Anyway, I've bowed down to the meister and have used 'clavier' instead of 'piano'. Piano is a cumbersome and unattractive word (sorry Italians) to rhyme in English. Clavier, which is, I think, stolen from the Germans by the French, and from the French by the English, was always (obviously) going to work better. It's also rather nice to be a little less...conventional.

I really love this song, so I can promise that these lyrics will get a lot more love. There are more problems with my work on this so far than there are good points:

They're saying to me
To open the door
Interest screams
What could there be here
Behind the door
Is a clavier
The keys are dusty
The strings become de-tuned
Behind the door
She sits at the clavier
She doesn't play it now
That was long ago

At the clavier
I listened to her
And when she began to play
My breath was taken away

She said to me
I'll always be here
But it seemed to be
she only played for me
Her blood to sate
My firey rage
I locked her away
Until they came

At the clavier
I listened to her
And when she began to play
My breath was taken away
At the clavier
I stood with her
And it seemed to be
She only played for me

They've opened the door
Oh how they cry
Her mother pleads
Her father strikes out at me
They take her away
And none believes me here
That I went insane
from the stench, the pain

At the clavier
I listened to her
And when she began to play
My breath was taken away
At the clavier
She listened to me
And when I began to play
Her breath was taken away


[lyrics][discuss]

4 comments:

  1. Sehnsucht is the only cd I still lack from Rammstein. I have ordered it from abroad. There wasn´t any in the shops in Finland anymore. (My Rammstein -fever has started only a couple of months ago). I listened Klavier from youtube and looked a couple of translations. But I have not yet really focused on this song (meaning: haven´t had a chance to listen to this song so much yet and be exposed to those thrilling emotions that all Rammsteinsongs usually awake in me). What happens in this song? I would like to hear how you interprete this song. It is full of passion. Does the man kill the woman in the end (her breath was taking away). Also in the live performance Till strangles himself in this point of the song (I wonder if I remembered the word strangle correctly: squeeze one´s throat - I´m sure you know what I´m trying to say...) Anyway, if you like, tell me the story in your mind of this song. What happens and why. I always make these kind of stories in my mind. Of course they are just interpretations but I like to do so. (By the way, I googled your name, I guess we have the same education (or profession, trade - what´s the right word again...)
    satu
    p.s. I would so much like to be able to speak languages better (german, spanish, english, french, everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. another ps: I wrote a lot of things that don´t really deal with klavier and your translation of it. Tell me if you don´t like it and if this is not the right kind of forum to write about educations and my willingness to learn languages and so on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me this is about a man who kills someone he loves (the pianist) to make sure she doesn't leave him. The song, for me, is him describing how after he killed her and locked the door concerned people were trying to get in to see what was happening, but he woudn't let them in. When they came in they found him with her body. For me the last bit where he throttles (yes, strangles) himself on stage is him describing her death. I think this is a love song.

    You're very welcome to post your questions, opinions and ideas here, though I think the forum at http://you.rammstein.me would be better, because the posts on here get lost in the archives very quickly, and there there's more continuity.

    Your English is beautiful, and your interest in other languages rocks. I'd love to be as good at Swedish as you are at English!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely is a lovesong. I see beauty in it. In Finland we must start learning swedish at the age of 13 in schools (learning english starts at the age of 9). Those are pretty much obligatory. Then at the age of 14 you can choose other languages too (like russian, french, german, spanish). I have always loved languages. I started learning german at the age of 14 and french at the age of 16. Unfortunately I have almost completely forgotten my german because of the lack of interest. Only now I have found a great enthusiasm to that language and you know the reason. I read somewhere that your parents are swedish. That´s almost in my neighbourhood and I wonder how come you live in the other side of the planet :) I will go to that other forum that you mentioned.
    Heippa Milla (finnishing)

    ReplyDelete