2009-05-28

Without Rhyme or Reason

I really like this latest one. I have to say that I'm really not sure what Seeman is about. I'm sure those of you who do (or think you do) will give me hell for that remark. I like the song though. I like it for the same main reasons I like all Rammstein's songs: lyrical rhythm and fluency.

I liked Sehnsucht (the album) when I used to listen to it without knowing what the lyrics meant. I didn't have any translations, and I don't speak German, so it was all about the aesthetics of what Lindemann sang, rather than the images he drew verbally.

With Seeman I know what the words mean, but I still get more from the rhythm and flow than from that meaning of the words. This isn't entirely because I don't understand what Till's trying to say with his imagery, though that is definitely a factor. The German flow and the cadence are pretty damned cool though. I've tried to reproduce that in English, and will keep working on it to improve the result.

I also like that it doesn't have a rhyme formula, so whichever word works best for the rhythm, sound, and meaning may be used. Rhyme is a huge restriction. I'm sure I'm going to make a lot of changes over time, as I find better words, simply because the options are much broader than when you have to follow rhyming structure.

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment