2009-03-26

Thank You Jeremy

The translations I'm working from are absolutely brilliant. Intricacies from the original German are explained really well. I can't incorporate many of these into my own work, because what is clever in German is merely clumsy in English much of the time, but having an idea of the tricks Lindemann is using offers insight into the ideas behind the words.

Like all poetry these pieces are highly euphemistic, and that could be a big stumbling block in a direct translation if the translator didn't have a solid grasp of colloquialisms, wordplay, and punning. Jeremy's masterful work is incredibly useful to me. I can use my own appropriate euphemisms because I know what's behind the original work, and I can balance that with good meter and imagery.

I don't have a way to contact Jeremy directly, as I only have his contact form on his site as a point of inferface, but I hope he gets to read this, so he knows what a powerful tool he's given me with his work on Rammstein's lyrics.

I like the original material. I also like the prose that links that and my own efforts. I offer a toast to the the intardweb as a major portal to the minds of others!

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment