2009-03-21

Mental Gymnastics

These lyrics are far from simple. They're made up of strata of word-play and clever metaphor. I wish I could get inside Till's head! I keep being struck by doubts about my ability to convey everything he does with the German lyrics, and it gives me pause.

As previously mentioned, I've started with Rein Raus. This is primarily because I love the rhythm of the lyrics. That aspect of the music is pronounced too for fairly obvious reasons, but the flow of words is what really gets me. It's also because these lyrics are more obvious than those from other songs. I have to start gently.

I'm going to have to dramatically change some of the imagery used, because English simply can't build the same images and work poetically. If I had more insight into Till's intent I could be much more confident in my own work. Oh how I wish the man had an online journal!

[Note that I don't use the word 'blog'. I have issues with that word. It's ugly.]

There are fairly blatant themes, such as the fact that it's about sex, possibly kink as well, and definitely a lack of real affection for the subject. I almost used the word 'victim' there, but I think the implication is that she (or possibly he) is not a victim of the sex itself, but could possibly be one of the heartless fucker the lyrics speak for.

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment