2010-04-15

My Website Has More Tweet-Cred' Than me

Okay, so we're in a slow Rammstein news period. They're between live legs (yeah, I really posted that), work-demands have left me limp, and I haven't had a lot to say. Apparently The Gauntlet will be getting some news very soon, but this place has been idle for a few days, and I need to stay up late to sort out a client's MX, so I thought I'd ruminate a little.

I signed up with Twitter 'as me' before I created The LILTwitter, and I never use it. I don't use it for chat or really have anything to say that I think those following my personal account give two shits about, so all my bombast ends up here, going out via LILTrammstein. As a result, the site's account has way more followers, is listed, and generally generates traffic, while my personal account languishes in obscurity.

The same goes for my Facebook accounts. I have two of them also. One for me individually, and another for this site. Attached to both is the LILTrammstein page. As with Twitter, the FB site profile is the one I am almost always logged in as, and to top that off almost all of my FB activity is on the page, rather than either profile.

I also signed up for MySpace, since it seems such a musically oriented SN site, but I don't log in.

I'm a Social Networking retard. Note the capitalisation there. I network socially as readily as I breathe. I just don't do it as I am probably supposed to.

I've decided there is a very simple reason for this: I don't share my personal life. This isn't a bad thing, but for someone whose main avenue of communication is the internet, both professionally and personally, I had expected that Twitter would possibly eat into my time, Facebook would hold my attention, and that I would probably waste far too much energy and effort with both. This has not happened. I am someone who networks fairly well, but I do it via email and forums. Given that my own forum is a small, dusty ghost town there is a certain level of strangeness to this.

I have to wonder why it is that the media designed for doing what I do fairly well don't capture my attention nearly so much as the basic, old school dinosaurs of internet technology. The original concept of BBSs is as old as the hills, as is the idea of email. I'm not old enough (shut up) yet to be stuck in my ways. I make very good use of both FB and Twitter...for the site. LILT definitely has way more use for the newer methods of communication though.

Bored yet? Okay, I'll put a plug in it. I wouldn't want to become one of those self-indulgent, self-involved bloggers who thinks people care about my life ;)

By the way, I will post whatever it is The Gauntlet serves up as soon as I get out of bed in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment