2009-12-19

RZK on Indexing - TV Interview



I'm not entirely sure he understands the reasoning behind the indexing. Provocation has nothing to do with it. I emailed the BPjM, and got back a very considered and helpful answer, and am still corresponding with their representative to get this straight in my head. What has really stood out for me so far in our email conversation was this (I hope she will forgive me paraphrasing her):
Other songs on the CD, such as the "Wiener Blut" song, did include aspects of critical reflection of the violence described, therefore this other song was altogether not found to have a harmful effect on minors.
So where Till's words show a level of criticism of the perpetrator for the act or the act itself, the harm done by the description of the act is ameliorated. To me this makes sense. This is about shaping the values of Germany's youth, after all, and propagation of criticism of an antisocial act has value that can't be ignored. While I think the photo of the spanking is rather mild it does lack that critical aspect the BPjM looks for. There is consistency in this that I had not found in their ruling until it was pointed out, as there have been songs equally depraved on past albums by Rammstein. There has also been that criticism though, so suddenly the ruling in this case and not others makes more sense.

I'm not happy about it, and I certainly don't think the image should be included in the ruling, but I don't view this decision from the BPjM with the bemusement and incredulity I felt before they returned my email. I really wish Rammstein would record a new version of this song for German release though, because it is a really excellent song, musically and expressively (TL's operatic mastery at work), and relyricising it would mean German kids can legitimately enjoy the musical and vocal performances at least.

[discuss]

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's one hell of a do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richards new hair style is fantastic in my option. loved the interview.=]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of that style in black. I reckon it's more suited to hair with more colour depth, such blonde or red, and then soft, rather than gelled down. In black it looks a bit too much like a bathing cap to me :)

    ReplyDelete