2009-10-19

Love Stories

I'm finding stories in the various translations of the new lyrics going around. I am having a lot of trouble with some songs, but a few have provoked fairly vivid images, and I'm going to post them as they occur to me or when someone else breaks the cypher. I'm not going to go too deeply though. You could probably find just about anything if you peeled enough layers off, so I'm just going with impressions that are fairly blatant (to me).

Rammlied is a Rammthem. It's pretty clear it's about them and us, and the end of the drought. No-brainer!

Ich tu' dir weh is about S&M. Also a no-brainer. I'm sure people will find a lot of little symbols and analogous imagery in there, but the basics are the giving and receiving of pain as a form of intimacy.

Waidmann's Heil is ostensibly about a hunt, but the general idea seems to be that it's about getting laid. Let's call it a story about cruising for pussy, since that's the simplest explanation.

Haifisch I've found myself thinking more about. It seems to be about the band (Sechs Herzen die Brennen, Das Feuer hält euch warm). My interpretation is that it's about how little we get to see of their lives, feelings, problems, love, etc. The shark's tears are hidden by its context, and the personal lives of the band are also hidden in the context in which we experience their lives, i.e. on stage, in interviews, through their music, and at promotional or public events. The idea that the tears of the shark are what makes the sea saline leads me to think that the band's form of expression is their work, and it's their performance and context through that work, which disguises what's really going on with them.

B****** is one I've had trouble with, but I can't stop wondering if it's about masturbation. My initial gut reaction was that it must be about a simple personal conflict, or some social taboo, but I'm not sure. The lyrics are very simple, and as such can be interpreted in many ways. There's obviously something about which he's a bit torn. I'm probably getting the masturbation idea from the overwhelming theme of love/lust/intimacy throughout the album, so I could be on completely the wrong track.

Frühling in Paris seems to be about his loss of virginity in Paris to a [possibly older] Parisienne. His innocence might be spring, left bleeding in Paris, but not regretted.

Wiener Blut is about the Fritzl case. There really isn't anything else that needs saying.

Pussy is obviously about getting laid. From remarks by Paul in an interview the overarching theme might be sexual tourism. For those unaware there are people who travel to poorer nations to indulge in the sexual favours of prostitutes of all kinds, thus taking advantage of depressed currencies and countries, and the poverty and desperation that brings.

Liebe ist für alle da seems to be about someone who takes women as and when he chooses, perhaps a rapist. He may simply be a fantasist though. I think it's unclear if he actually gets the girl or not.

Superficially (I haven't put a lot of thought in on this one yet) Mehr seems to be about greed in general, but in my view it's more about material greed than anything else. Love of things, or for money and what that brings.

Red sand is a story about the loss of a duel over a lover. He lies dying at the end, and the other guy gets the girl. It's a pretty simple story of love (and life) lost.

More as it comes to mind, and hand in the case of the bonus tracks.

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment