2010-05-14

GEMA on the Warpath

It seems that GEMA is getting too big for its boots (Thanks for Rammchick for the link). The GEMA organisation, which represents German musical artists, specifically in the management of royalties, is having a go at YouTube (Google), and has been for a while. The threat to order the removal of German music seems intensely short-sighted to me. The awareness and spread of German music has to have been majorly boosted by the advent of such media-sharing sites. People can listen to and find new artists just by following links related to the videos they watch. I found Apocalyptica that way, and now own two of their albums (legitimately). Social networking and media sites should be a tool to be utilised, rather than a source of income. Why not be a little less greedy, take less, and reap the benefits of huge, global exposure, penetration into new markets, and the propagation of music under your management?

3 comments:

  1. i listen and have bought a lot of german artists because of you tube, how can that be a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. They seem to be a little narrow in their thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn´t agree more!
    Index related I listend to "Ich tu dir weh" (and later to every R+ video there was) on YT,because my son was listening to Rammstein and I wanted to make sure it was OK for him to do so - I and he are now owning very legally ever single piece of R+ music - thanks to YT (and the "Index",I guess).

    As for the GEMA - the world is full of nuts - hand me a bowl.

    mayflower165

    ReplyDelete