2011-04-02

Rammstein Communities

Community members should be aware by now that the official fan community forum has been exchanged for a community system, which works quite differently to a straight forum. It's been a shock to many, particularly the English-speaking users, who have found that having English and German users combined into one set of boards resulted in the proliferation of discussion in German, and a severe reduction in English threads. This has now been remedied, bringing about a great improvement in user-friendliness, but many English users have stopped visiting before the change. The only way to make the community revive for English-speaking users is to use the community, so I hope those who have faded away will come back and stamp their personalities all over the place, because we all know that Rammstein fans are personality-plus!

One thing I love about the new community is the ability to share media directly against your account, and the main community feed, so you can see where people are active. You can also friend people and filter the community feed to see what your friends in particular are up to. You can also subscribe to sections of the forum, so you get updated directly when people are engaging. It's very different to the old 'Fan Arena' format, but has way more potential for creating a real family of fans.

I for one have had fun visiting using the Chrome browser by Google. It has GLT built in, so you can go into the German section and read what people are saying, by accepting the browser's offer to translate. If you, like me, are trying to learn German, then switching the translator on and off, to see what is posted in both languages, is awesome.

Chrome is my browser of choice. It has issues with some stuff, so I keep my other browsers installed, but I primarily use Chrome, because it is a superior tool, in my opinion. In a multilingual scene, such as that of Rammstein fans, it really comes into its own. I can read Rammstein World and Rammstein Mexico without having to struggle with copying and pasting content into GLT.

Anyway, back on-point, I really hope people give the new community another chance. I had a really good explore last night, and find myself more and more pleased with it, but the lack of participation that has resulted from such a drastic change is not sustainable. We need to engage, support the community, and ensure it continues to improve.

Many of you won't know this, but I am an active campaigner to get Rammstein's fans to unite. Over the past 18 months-plus I have seen change, and more is to come. I hope these changes get the due consideration and support they deserve. The momentum needs to increase, rather than waning, as it has been, due to the ennui and jadedness of the fans.

My goal is to see more fans engaging on fb, Twitter, the official community, and on their own sites. Link to one another, communicate, and cooperate. Follow each other on Twitter, like each other on fb, join the official community, and link to all the other fan communities on your own fan-sites and MAKE it work. It won't happen overnight, as we have witnessed, but nor will it happen properly if we don't partake.

Okay, pep-talk over. Think it over.

4 comments:

  1. I was very surprised to see the new look forum and now split into English and German. It is def a lot friendlier than it has been for the previous er...4 years? I do think a lot of members were turned off the community and I know a lot who have not renewed their membership, but now there is a chance it may recover. It is a LOT different :D The word needs to be spread :)

    Oh I am also using Chrome a lot lately and it makes it very easy on non English sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so this may be a dumb question, but I'm very new to the community thing, and this is compounded by the fact that I do most of my web browsing on my phone rather than my laptop...
    But when I first signed up, there was a classic community, divided both into english and deutsch sections, AND the LIFAD community. Have they now combined the two?

    On the old/classic community there seemed to be more activity with the upcoming US dates... ticket exchanges, people making arrangements to meet at various shows, etc. But... now I can't find any of that. :( I don't know if this is because I don't have everything set up properly, or because there isn't full site functionality on my phone's browser... or maybe I just can't find where they've moved the proper link to? Can you comment on this at all? I'm confused. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originally it was the old/classic community, which was just a bulletin board. Now that has been replaced with the new LIFAD community. There was a transitional period where both were available. To be honest I never really used the old one. The new one is much less uptight, and has a more social vibe, even though the discussion board part of it is very basic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks nice, even so it would be far better if you’ll be able to use lighter colors too as a professional design. This will make sure that a lot more readers come to check it out.Informative post by the way!

    aromatherapy world

    ReplyDelete