2011-04-24

Big & Beautiful

I know it's off-topic and a little random but I reserve the right to be both, and post a link to this page. These monuments to Sovietism in the former Yugoslavia have to be the most compelling and evocative pieces of design I have ever seen as a collection. And they are a collection. They were apparently commissioned during the 60s and 70s by the then President of the then nation, Josip Broz Tito, to commemorate sites of World War II battles and concentration camps.

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing. It's things like this that make me want to run amok through Europe with a camera. I've never heard of these, and I LOVE European / Russian history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hope the various territories that now own them maintain and preserve them. They're a treasure.

    ReplyDelete