2009-07-08

Crumbs of Randomness

I'm from New Zealand. If you've been paying attention at all you know this already. It strikes me that most people outside New Zealand really have no idea about it, aside from that seen in the Lord of the Rings movies, and perhaps the Hercules and Zena TV shows. That's not really ideal.

If you like eclectic environments all within a very small area of land, all accessible within three to four hours of flight (from one end of the nation to another), and all with something fairly special to offer then you'll like New Zealand. I've found this gallery of photos of NZ, which is worth a look.

You can surf and ski within an area covered by a few hours of driving, as well as a lot of beauty in between. We're on two islands, named The North Island and The South Island (boxes of imaginative craziness, our forbears), and they're very, very different from one another. Within each island is a lot of variation in people, landscapes, and climates. It's a pretty cool place to be, even if you're only visiting.

On a very different note, my holiday in Greece is drawing to its end, which makes me sad. My creativity and general happiness levels have been incredibly high while I've been here, and I'm not really looking forward to heading back to NZ's worst winter in a few years. I've got a lovely tan, which will fade into my customary paleness under my winter woolies, and I have to get back to work once I'm back. If I believed in a god at this stage I would pray for someone to 'discover' me as some kind of lyrical talent and save me from a technical career that looms over me, but somehow I can't bring myself to believe any such thing, so I guess I have to stick with what I know.

One consolation is I'm getting a new iPod on the way back to NZ. Some more are that I'll get to see my best friends, will be able to cuddle my animals, and the darkest time of the year for NZ has passed. Here's to the NZ spring in September/October!

Right now I'm going to prioritise getting the remaining in-progress LILTs into the possibly finished pile, and I think I will also LILT Adios, which has beautiful, if somewhat frightening lyrics. Other than the above I am in avid anticipation of the new Rammstein album, and am thinking of attempting a somewhat odd mash-up after I get home to NZ. I won't post more detail, but if it works as I hope it will I shall make the mash-up available via this site, and hopefully won't land my arse in a 'cease and desist' sling.

It's my birthday next weekend (hence the new iPod), and I don't know how I feel about it this year. Last year I spent a good part of my birthday at a funeral. Most years we do nothing. It's all a little anticlimactic. This year we're going out for dinner in the village, and I may muscle in on a joint birthday party coming up early in August, and claim a stake in that. Call it my birthday mutiny...

I'm not sure why I'm posting all of this. I'm sure much of the readership this site gets is from people who're interested in Rammstein, so my rambling probably isn't that much of a draw-card.

I used to ruminate a lot about the lyrics I was working on, but I wasn't sure if people liked reading my mid-LILT flow-of-consciousness posts, so I've pretty much stopped that. I might go back to doing that. Let me know if you're bored.

[discuss]

No comments:

Post a Comment